Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Selvage Log Cabin

 Here it is- the selvage quilt that didn't make a dent in my collection of selvages! This is my second selvage quilt (Emerald Selvage Spiderweb, 2013) and probably won't be my last. Now that I'm in the habit of saving them, I can't stop!


This is where I started a couple of weeks ago. If you are wondering, the red is Kona Tomato. (My grandfather grew the best tomatoes.)

It only took about a week to complete the top. Many thanks to Karen Griska for writing a great pattern! I opted to set the blocks on point and skipped the borders. I wanted to make lots of blocks (I cut mine at 10"). This size fits perfectly on my kitchen wall. Selvage quilts are heavy, so a lap quilt wasn't appealing to me.


I knew I wanted to quilt this with red and white thread. I started with "organic" vertical lines through the red squares. I figured whatever I quilted in white would disappear, so I decided to practice feathers. (I really stink at quilting feathers!) All that top to bottom quilting means no threads to bury. No marking, no threads to bury = win, win.


There are some really cute selvages in here. And so many memories of projects past! Printed copyright dates range from 1994 to 2014.

The back is loaded with dots. Why not?

The only place you can really see the feathers is on this section of the back. That's OK with me! More practice required.

One more glamor shot on the couch with the matching pillow. Yes, it's snowing again! 

Selvage Log Cabin
(needs a cuter name. any suggestions?)
42" X 42"
Started January 31, 2015
Completed February 16, 2015

6 comments:

Debbie said...

This turned out beautifully! How is it quilting over the selvage edges? Do you have to be extra careful?

Calicojoan said...

Fabulous finish. I have a pile of selvages myself. This saving stuff is a sickness isn't it! LOL!!

Ariane said...

Its gorgeous!!! I love it!!!

Selvage Quilter said...

Wow, I love your quilt!
It looks great on point.
Why is it that the more selvage quilts we make, the more selvages we have?
It's a mystery!
Karen

shirley said...

I would call it Tomato Cages. i love your quilt. i have made dozens of selvage quilts myself and never run out of selvages.

Turid said...

I love this quilt, and came back several times from Val's. Now I'm tempted to try a similar quilt with my selvages. Thanks for the inspiration.