Monday, October 27, 2014

Bloggers' Quilt Festival - Tangerine and Teal

 Tangerine and Teal is my entry in the small quilts category of the Blogger's Quilt Festival


I started piecing this quilt in a class with Marianne Hatton in September 2013. Marianne calls this workshop, "It Takes Two Triangles." Well, it takes two sizes of triangles, but actually 432 pieces! We were asked to bring a gradation of six fabrics in two colors. Each quilter chose her own block design to add to the variety. We then pieced 36 unique blocks from our 12 prints.


I played and rearranged for a couple of days before deciding on the final layout. The top was finished within days of the class, and then it sat for several months. Ripening.
 

I was finally ready to quilt it in July. The spiral quilting was more fun than I expected. This quilt really was a joy to work on from start to finish.


I was happy to rescue the orange DS Quilts print from the clearance rack at JoAnn's for the backing. For the binding, I used two V & Co ombres that were in my stash. If you're new here, orange has become my signature color and turquoise is my daughter's color, so there's plenty of both in my stash.


Tangerine and Teal
by Tina Craig
Rhode Island
September 2013 - July 2014
36" square
Inspired by Marianne Hatton


Enjoy the Blogger's Quilt Festival! Don't forget to nominate your favorites for Viewer's Choice.

http://amyscreativeside.com/2014/10/24/bloggers-quilt-festival-fall-2014-edition/

9 comments:

Jodi said...

I really, really love this quilt, Tina! Funny, that you left it to "ripen"! :-) I'm wondering if you ran into trouble with the quilting? Last time I tried that spiral it gradually pulled the fabric in until I had a distorted mess. You may have talked about that at the guild meeting but I was a bit distracted with Finn :-), and probably missed it.

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

Stunning!

Susan at TheBoredZombie.com said...

Super cool! The spiral is really perfect for this quilt.

Janet Ann said...

Love this quilt! The colors just pop off the page! Beautiful!

margaret said...

a real beauty colours work together so very well, and as for the spiral quilting amazing. I too love orange but first choice for me is to put it with green my favourite colour but it works so well with turquoise too. Think nov 1 will be spent looking at all the quilts and voting, no time for stitching on that day

Rachaeldaisy said...

I love these two colours together. The layout you chose is great and that spiral quilting was the perfect finish.

Jane said...

I love it! Your colors are great!

MegsAnn said...

Haha your quilt ripened then you rescued fabric from JoAnns. Your writing is as delightful as this happy quilt. :)

SarahZ said...

What's not to love here? My two favorite colors, my favorite shape, and gorgeous quilting! It is a real beauty!!