Friday, February 22, 2013

Welcome, Olivia!

 My fourth grand-niece was born last week. Isn't Olivia so sweet?


Olivia's baby quilt is now ready to go. I used a really sweet jelly roll (Birdie by Me and My Sister Designs for Moda), Kona white and the Whirlygig pattern by Amelie Scott Designs. The quilt measured 48" x 60" before washing, about 45" x 57" after.



I've seen a quilting pattern similar to this a bunch of times online, so I drew it out on paper before I started. I wanted a loose design, so I started out really big. As you can see, I tightened up significantly as I made my way around the quilt.


See the tiny flowers in the center and giant flowers at the edge?

I used one extra block and some extra strips to make the back wide enough.

 More jelly roll strips became the binding.  I bordered the label with some leftover binding.


I had saved all the lighter strips for the binding, and I thought they needed some help. I think the bright pink ric rac did the trick.


This week was big sister Abby's 2nd birthday. She loves playing in her toy kitchen, so I made her a cute new apron.

Giant dots on the front, tiny dots on the back. I followed this tutorial by Yards and Yards.

I'll be linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts' Finish it up Friday and Pat Sloan's Show & Tell.


5 comments:

sophie said...

Olivia is precious and I love the quilt you made for her. I like the apron, too. I'm sure big sister will enjoy "cooking" in it.

Dee said...

What a great , great, aunt to make such sweet gifts! I love that quilt and your quilting is perfect!

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

Gorgeous quilt for a gorgeous baby! Love the apron for her big sister, too!

Sara said...

Sweet baby!

I love the quilt blocks you chose and the ric rack is perfect for that edge.

crookedtailcrafts said...

Love everything about the baby quilt you made, including the baby! What a cutie! The ric-rack was a nice touch; I'll have to remember that. I also like the apron; very cute.