Monday, January 14, 2013

Two Blocks and a Pillow

 Just a quick Sew Modern Monday post. It's Girl Scout cookie season, so I'll be trying to squeeze in a little sewing whenever I can.

I finished my first bee blocks for the Modern Stash Bee. Mo Stash, for short. Tom Selleck is the poster boy, and the hives are named after his TV shows and movies. So silly!  I'm in the Three Men and a Baby hive, and Kelleigh asked for bright solids on white to use in a charity quilt. The tutorial for the block on the left was part of Jackie's Bloggers BOM last year, but I had to scale it up to make it 12.5". And I used flying geese units instead of HSTs to eliminate some seams. The block on the right is the Spring Blossom block from Volume 1 of Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks.


Julia finished up a pillow she had been working on for a friend's birthday.  She had seen the quote on Pinterest and drew it on a piece of linen blend. She had to watch some Youtube videos to remember how to do a stem stitch. (She's always been a redwork fan!)


Instead of piecing a border around the embroidery, I had her cut two 15" squares of the Amy Butler print, one for the front and one for the back. She pressed under a seam allowance on the embroidered piece and basted it to the center of a print square. Then, she trimmed it out with the ric rac and stitched it down. Quick and easy!


Have a great, quilty week!

No comments: