Thursday, October 14, 2010

Fall Foliage

Here's a blast from the past! I finished this quilt in 1992, but started it in 1990, shortly after I started quilting. I had seen a photo of a pieced tree in a magazine, but did all the math myself. It was rather exciting at the time!


The placement of the colors represents the changing of the leaves as Fall progresses. I was inspired by memories of watching a particular tree from my bedroom window in the house where I grew up.

The applique leaves were traced from actual leaves I picked up at the Coast Guard Academy after a football game. I used the dryer sheet method to turn under all those little curves.

A few years ago, I decided to tea die the whole thing to tone down the bright white background. Unfortunately, one of the orange prints bled badly. It's not very noticeable from far away.


There is not much Fall color in my yard yet, but I did find a few juicy raspberries. Yum!


I chased this butterfly around, trying to get a few more shots. He was too quick for me, so I only got this one.


This bee is either asleep or dead. I won't be poking him to find out which!


I'm enjoying the sun while it lasts. There is a Nor'easter on its way! Time to batten down the hatches.

3 comments:

SueWis said...

I love this quilt! I am partial to the fall season and I love the progression of the color on the tree. You should really consider writing it up as a pattern since you drafted it yourself.

sunny said...

Hello! I'm blog-hopping tonite, and I just discovered your beautiful quilt! I agree with Sue - you should write up this pattern and sell it. Put my name on the list to buy one. Awesome!!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Have you thought about trying to wash that quilt with Shout Color Catchers? I know quilters who never prewash their fabrics ... they wash their quilts with Shout Color Catchers and never have any bleeding, even with intense reds, etc. Just a thought.