Monday, July 27, 2009

Flowers for Flo

My Aunt Florence passed away last week at age 91. She was in the final stages of Alzheimer's, so her family had lost her months ago. She was a remarkable woman, a widow and single mother since 1965. She worked a man's job in a factory because it paid better. Fiercely independent, she rarely (if ever) asked for help. One of her three sons is a Catholic priest, so he celebrated her funeral Mass with more than 20 other priests and the bishop in attendance. Flo would have been thrilled by the honor. She loved to brag about the accomplishments of her children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews.


Last year, my mother suggested we send her a lap quilt. I had a soft, flannel top made from pretty green and yellow fat quarters. I think it was the Yellow Brick Road pattern. I wish I had taken a photo. She kept it at the foot of her bed and enjoyed snuggling up with it. My cousins placed it in the casket to keep her warm.


This photo was taken at our family reunion in 2005. Aunt Florence is in the middle with my father, just 2 months before he died. Of my grandparents 10 children, only 2 remain, Al on the left and Art on the right. Those siblings loved to argue, and perhaps Florence was the best. Heaven just got a lot louder!

Rest in Peace, Aunt Florence. Dad will show you around heaven. He's got the maps!

1 comment:

Susan in SC said...

What a very sweet tribute to your Aunt Flo. I know she is beaming down at you from Heaven!